View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
14,020 Posts
Jlcamp,

Flying on 915 MHz is a crap-shoot in the USA. Cell towers aren't the problem. They're low-power, and they're up in the GHz range. It's the high-powered 928/929 MHz paging systems that you need to worry about. I know. I built hundreds of 3500W 928/929 MHz paging sites on towers, skyscrapers, apartment buildings, and water towers across the country. We were the first wireless provider to be licensed for 3500W operation in the 900 MHz band. Due to the extremely high power, I had to investigate & solve thousands of RFI issues. Given that even the best commercial-grade 902 MHz receivers need external RF filters the size of 5-pound coffee cans to handle that much power at such a close frequency, I doubt that any 915 MHz RC receiver front-end would be able to handle a nearby 929 MHz paging transmitter without going into full front-end overload. If I were living where 900 MHz paging systems are rare - such as in a rural area or smaller town, I wouldn't be so concerned. But I built 79 929 MHz 3500W paging sites just within the greater metro area around here. And we weren't the only provider doing build-outs.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 22, 2013 at 01:10 PM.