View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:00 PM
Fly2High is offline
Find More Posts by Fly2High
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Fly2High's Avatar
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
I built a V tail fuse for my GL. My fues was so poorly built and had gotten dmaaged AND I wanted an excuse to learn composites.

I use the lost foam method to make a pod. the boom was a tube purchased from ACS.

The Vtail I made followed the conversion listed in RCSD one year for making a v - tail. Do not recall the calculations nor the issue but if you look for tail volume coefficients and such, you are on the right track.

It came out heavier than stock but I also overbuilt it. It did fly pretty well and looked cool in the air. I also like the fact that with the V tial, I had less tendency to damage the epennage in the heavy weed/grass we have.

It is what you like.....

If I was to do it again, I would follow the apogee or whatever 2 meter Drela has over there for the fuse and just put my tail group (v-tail) or the original tail group on it. Probably would come out lighter too than what I made the first time.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Jan 22, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote