View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by Dave8888
United States, AZ, Seligman
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp Abuser View Post
Yes the natural design of a rigger having a wide stance up front, others have taken advantage of this with air props. Having the prop in the front of the CG of anything will increase stability allowing more speed in your case without blowing off the water. You should consider a vertical stab in the back if decide to over power the rigger. Say 1500watts as you have a ton of room in the tub for batts with room to move them in the right spot for a cg of 1.5 / 2in behind the sponson.

Notice in the vid a rigger with the prop behind the cg tends to cause adverse steering and of course enjoy a 75mph run with a brushless outrunner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhbaulMN_Q8
Both front sponsons are now built and epoxyed on. The stance up front (inside of sponson to inside of sponson) is 3 1/2" wider then the plans call for (it's 13" instead of 9 1/2"). Amp Abuser, I am taking your advise and putting the prop in front of the CG. By moving motor stand more towards the front I can now adjust the CG from about 3/4" to about 3 3/4" behind the sponson just by moving the battery. The motor I will be using is 1450kv and 655watts. I will be using a 3S battery. I will run a 4S battery later. The prop is a 9 x 6 apc "style" electric. I am still playing around with adding a vertical stab (or 2 - 1 on each side of hatch).
Dave8888 is offline Find More Posts by Dave8888