View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:44 AM
Find More Posts by GLGofLB
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2012
168 Posts
Was able to figure out the clearance problems of the prop clearing the floats without re-designing the landing gear; all I am going to do is place a to inch platform between the fuse bottom and gear! Presto problem solved. However I never thought about the problem of using a wooden prop, it would probably get chewed up pretty badly. I really like wooden props, particularly Xoars, however now that you guys mention it proably better to go with a nylon APC.

Name: Image00001.jpg
Views: 85
Size: 118.5 KB
Description: Eerie clean bench in preparation to starting the float assembly.Name: Image00002.jpg
Views: 79
Size: 145.4 KB
Description: I am using the great planes 40 size float kit which translates to about the correct size.  Here I am comparing the die cut float mount locations to the custom locations more forward that will allow my existing gear to line up well.Name: Image00003.jpg
Views: 82
Size: 144.0 KB
Description: New float attachment locations finalized in forward positionName: Image00004.jpg
Views: 92
Size: 147.3 KB
Description: Blind nuts in place and mounting brackets dry fit to verify alignment, good to go.
Name: Image00005.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 161.2 KB
Description: Float spines bulkheads and keels cemented to placeName: Image00006.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 162.6 KB
Description: Float sides laminated on along with fore and aft stringers cut and sanded to shape.  The other float spine waiting its turn.Name: Image00007.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 159.3 KB
Description: Both floats finished to the same stage.  Float on left needs to be sanded flush all the way around, at which point I will be able to move forward.

Basically happy with the progress I made this weekend the wood parts count is getting pretty low. I think about one more week I can start the finishing process. I hope.
GLGofLB is offline Find More Posts by GLGofLB