Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
585 Posts
First Impressions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
...the Devil has the right mix that makes for a great aerobatic sport Bipe...

Still had to push the elevator when inverted.....but that means I got to maiden her today... More on that later...
...'cause she's a virgin no more...... 'Yee Haw' seems like a pretty good descriptor for this super fun ship...

All right Devil 3D fans, if you haven't joined the club yet it's time to make the move as you won't be disappointed... First off, thanks to all the previous posters for helping me with getting my Devil setup & to pullup for all those tips about the battery mod & especially for the how-to for an inverted flat spin. I actually did some of those today... This is one confidence-inspiring ship...

Flew her 4 times today in the best January weather anyone could ask for: 70 degrees, sunny & light winds. Sorry pullup, us So Cal Flyers got it rough out here, don't we... Unfortunately, no video...gonna have to remedy that somehow 'cause I'd like to have it for myself for posterity, if not for learning purposes as well...

First flight was great. With "goofball pilot" at the controls, she rolled out, ran up the throttle tracking straight & true, & then pulled slight up & she was climbing steadily. I let off the elevator & the she really dove down so I climbed to safe altitude & started trimming her out. Seems she was fairly nose heavy, even with the battery mod but it wasn't too bad for the very first flight. Couple clicks left aileron & a lot of up elevator & she was flying level. Then the urge to start testing her limits won out & that's when the fun really started...

IMHO, this plane is everything the Peaks was but better. Rolls were so sharp & fast that after I landed her & I immediately reduced all throws since I used the same settings as the Peaks for a baseline. Dialed 'em down a bit & that smoothed her out nicely. She really has great power on uplines. 1/2-3/4 throttle & she keeps on climbing skyward, very impressive... She'll snap in an instant & recover cleanly. Did some blenders & then I changed the stick positions as pullup described & she was pancaking...couldn't believe it...... She's a bit sensitive so it's a good idea about keeping the low rates low, especially for the maiden flights... Tried some KE passes (up high, mind you) & she pulled to the gear. No surprise since my elevator was so tweaked out of the box... Used the same mix I had for the Peaks R-E & she was knifing great at just a little over 1/2 throttle... Couldn't get her locked in on hovers but HA was fun on high rates with some noticeable wing rock, pilot induced I'm sure... Landing was as easy as lining her up & slowly reducing the throttle to get into a nice & steady descent, just like my (now 2nd...) old favorite, the Peaks...

I flew her a total of 4 times & had a blast. I didn't get the CG all the way sorted out because I still had to push the elevator no matter how far back I moved the 4S 2200mAh packs... All in all a fantastic plane. I'm sure I'll get the CG figured out & she'll be that well-balanced, 3D capable ship I was expecting. Can't wait for next weekend now...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Jan 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Tweaks needed...