Thread: Discussion 2.4 Mhz whats the deal?
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:40 AM
Find More Posts by bossee
Bo Edström, Sweden
Joined Jan 2009
1,448 Posts
If one look back, I started RC in 1973 and then only 27 MHz was in use, todays 2.4 GHz is a huge step forward for signal reliability and almost everyting else. In the small RC club I was member in back then we kept track of each others 27 Mhz frequencies rather good at the field so that was really no problem for us. The problem was so and so reability of the radio, specifically the recievers and servos since they could not cope so good with vibrations as today and also the NiCd we used was not as good as the reciever and TX batteries we can use today (LiPo, LiFe, NiMh, Li-ion). Another problem was to keep track of both TX and RX battery usage - we had no (at least not in our club) any good tools really to know how much we really had left in the battery while we was out flying. We knew from experience how long it could be turned on before the servos started to go crazy because voltage got low in RX battery. And we read in manual how long radio could be used (in best of worlds) with so and so many servos.
Anyway, to get a 2.4 GHz radio today is as obvious as buying a car with electronic fuel injection - carburators are more or less history in new cars so to speak. Maybe not the best analogy but I'm sure You understand.
As far as I know if one is into FPV 2.4 GHz may have some limitations but other then that it is hard to find any practical disadvantage with a brand new 2.4 GHz radio today.
As for the signal in various 2.4 GHz systems it is differences how it is transfered but You really do not need to know that to be able to select a good radio today. Futaba had and still have a very good reputation for their FASST (and newest FASSTest) 2.4 GHz system but that does not mean it is the best system to transfer 2.4 GHz signals, it may be equal or better systems out there today. There has in the past been some problems with various 2.4 Ghz radios (Spektrum DX8 had initial problems but they made a recall for free and fixed it and new DX8 radios today do not have that problem) and even systems (like IFS that Graupner used was no hit at all and Graupner switched later to their present HoTT 2.4 GHz system). This is just examples of that there has been some problems but that is not unique for radios and 2.4 GHz, it happen in most fields from time to time. What count is how a manufacturer take care of problems if they arise.
As for service of 2.4 Ghz radios I think they require much less service then in old days but it is good to send it in for checks now and then, My Futaba 14MZ has been in for check one time during the years I have used it and I probably will have one check more before I retire the radio. TX and RX batteries need to be replaced after a while but that apply to all radios.

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Jan 20, 2013 at 12:27 PM.