Thread: Build Log 7 meter Stanley Nomad Build
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by Whiplash46
Maryland
Joined Jul 2007
46 Posts
The current plan is to use a built up box spar (1.0"x0.5" Poplar caps) with 1/8" aircraft ply continuous webs. The caps taper from root to tip 1.0" root 0.5" at tip. From Rib14 out the web will become 3/32" ply. Each panel will be 2 pieces and break at Rib14. Fiberglas tubes with carbon rod for joints. The Ribs slide on to the main spar and as you observed use balsa filler blocks to bring the spar up to the L.E. sheeting to close off the D-cell. The L.E. stock is also yellow Poplar, I love the stuff, inexpensive and easy to get in the North East. The aft spar is just a Poplar strip in a slot with 1/16" ply shear webs. I'll add some triangulated Balsa struts internal for drag loads in the aft bays. As SZD16 pointed out, I will need some extra weight.

I have attached a detailed plan of rib 14a, last rib on the inner panel, spanwise location of inner aileron.

I may have to rethink the use of Compufoil, anyone have .cor files for the
HQ3,5/18 and HQ3,5/12. I would usually loft a 3D model of the wing to scale and then slice it to get sections.

Whip
Whiplash46 is offline Find More Posts by Whiplash46
Last edited by Whiplash46; Jan 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added wing rib detail plan