Thread: Discussion 2.4 Mhz whats the deal?
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:13 AM
Find More Posts by bossee
Bo Edström, Sweden
Joined Jan 2009
1,462 Posts
Hi,
And it is good to know that basically all major radio brands is a good choice. There are some radios that could be said to be more like "toyradios" that usually are included in cheaper ARF packages (plane, radio, motor).

If one is member of a RC club there is a tendency to use some brands of radios and that has an advantage that users can help each other with programming and such. So If You intend to be a member of a club in your area visit them and ask what radios they use.

I use Futaba myself (14MZ) and I intend to use it some more years (it came out on the market 2005). If You consider a Futaba remember that they have only two radios today that has telemetry (data from plane can be sent down to transmitter for visual and audiable alerts/presentation), 14SG and 18MZ.

Thrend is towards more and more telemetry capable radios with many different sensors (hight, variometer, voltage, temp, RPM, GPS etc).

Example of major brands are Futaba (Futaba/Robbe in Europe), Spektrum, Hitec, Jeti, Multiplex, Graupner.

Some of the radios today have very advanced programming capabilities for heli, sailplane, airplane etc. So You probably should investigate what different radios in same brands and different brands can do regarding the programming capabilites so You avoid buying a radio now that can not do what You maybe want to use in future.

If You are going to use FPV You may need do more research on selecting suitable radio since it is some special considerations with FPV.

Once You start to use a good 2.4 GHz radio You will really understand the advantages, and the disadvantages are very few, mostly to do with the reciever antenna(s) You must be more careful with so signal not get blocked to the reciever. And You do not wrap reciever in soft foam anymore, just velcro with a small velcro around its mounting plate will be OK. Most 2.4 GHz receivers are not so sensitive to vibrations since most component is surface mounted but some 2.4 GHz receivers generate more heat that old receivers back in the days and therfore should usually not be wrapped in soft foam that we used before with 27, 35, 72 MHz receivers. Transmitter antenna on 2.4 Ghz radios is usually a tiny rubber/plactis antenna that can be folded (some have the antenna built in inside the transmitter but not that many). As in old days the rule of not pointing the antenna tip towards the model in the air still apply. The antenna broad side give strongest signals so one usually fold the antenna 90 deg to one side or downwards while flying (just in case You wonder why the antenna is foldable).

You may also know there are "digital" servos today (althoug analog also still exist) and they are often faster, have better holding force (but can draw little more power) and are very precise. Digital servos are also more sensitive to linkages that is not smooth since they will then start to get a buzzing sound and draw unneccessary power and drain the battery earlier in such case. Many servos has also metal gear (or similar materiel), some servos have brusless motor to get about 5 times longer life then non brushless motors, Futaba BLS is an example of such servos but they are expensive).
There is also "high voltage" servos and that mean You can use 2 cell LiPo (7.2 volt) or 2 cell LiFe (6.6 volt) battery as power source for them (older servos may only allow 4.8 volt, or 6 volt). High voltage (HV) servos is usually used in larger airplanes like RC jets and "3D" planes etc where You need really strong servos.

I know You may have some reading to do and it might seem to be much information to digest (I know I thought that when 2.4 GHz came) but You really do not need to know so much about 2.4 GHz how it works - You can just rely on that is very good and safe system since all radio manufacturer use it now and millions of users have used it since it started to come about 10 years ago (and about 2005 more widespread) so the manufacturers and users experience on this technology is proven for years.

About a TV screen: I can imagine You want the screen not in the radio but instead an external screen separated from the radio. You or Your friends at the flying field will not be able to see so good on a screen that is built in on the radio. You can have external screen on a stand beside You or perhaps mounted on the radio (upwards) so You get it as visable as possible. FPV guys can tell You what works best from experience.
I have seen ready to fly planes with radio that has a built in screen on the radio, sutable for FPV flying, this one for example http://www.spyhawkfpv.com
(check Youtube "spyhawk FPV" and You can read reviews, flying etc)
But that radio and plane is targeted at FPV (beginners) and can basically not be used together with anything else then this plane. You probably want a generic radio that can be used for more broad applications. You probably may want a radio that can be upgraded with new software(firmware) that You can do Yourself, to get buggfixes and new features later (Futaba 8FG was a very good example of how much new features You got via new software You downloaded and installed Yourself in the radio for free during the years).
There is also googles to be used with FPV.

Good luck and I hope You find a radio You will be happy with for many years in the future!

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Jan 20, 2013 at 05:15 AM.