Thread: Discussion G sensor not reading correctly
View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:39 PM
Find More Posts by BobW99
Joined Jan 2013
17 Posts
I just received the system about two weeks ago.

The first time I plugged the unit in it did a firmware update and there was a gforce expander calibration that popped up as well. I didn't do anything with the g force calibration as I was told the unit was factory calibrated and it was not possible to calibrate it anyway.

I also opened a support ticket and received a response Friday suggesting I return it to be recalibrated. I won't be doing that as it will be faster and cheaper to buy a new unit if I decide to worry about the accuracy of the z axis.

I am also having problems with both the brushless motor RPM sensor and the optical sensor. The Brushless RPM sensor gets huge spikes when the motor is running. This is a car application so there is a lot of RPM change. Peak RPM on the motor should be 14 kRPM and I get spikes to 50-60 kRPM when throttle changes. Hard to make sense of the data with all the spikes.

After that experience I figured I'd just use the optical sensor I bought as well. I can't get it to read properly at all. I roughed up the black plastic surface of a drive cup to remove the shine and painted 1/2 of it white. It's about 10mm diameter. I get an output but the RPM and speed calculation is wrong. It doesn't matter where I say the sensor is located, motor, spur gear or axle the output RPM and speed in live or logged mode never changes. The gear box ratio is 2.5:1 with a 75T spur and 48T pinion. The motor RPM should read around 13.5kRPM but it always reads 5.4kRPM. And I mean always. Even when I change the gearbox ratio to 1 and the pinion/spur to 1 it reads the same. I could understand if that was the drive shaft RPM but it isn't. Drive shaft RPM at full throttle is around 9kRPM.

Yours truly very frustrated.
BobW99 is offline Find More Posts by BobW99
Last edited by BobW99; Jan 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: typo