View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by derp express
person
Joined Dec 2012
176 Posts
Alright, it's making a lot more sense to me now. Dynamic thrust being less than static by a factor of 2-3 pretty much explains that mystery. As for the reynolds number, that seems to be the big thing in determining how differently a model performs from the real thing. I've always wondered why if you take a scale model that has the precise same wing loading, drag/lift coefficients, etc it still flies differently than a full size one - and that answers it.

I guess my question now is what measures can be taken to increase L/D to a reasonable level? The obvious factors that come to mind are:

- Larger wing area (lower wing loading)
- Higher aspect wing for a given area
- Best attempts to streamline

What are some other factors than can contribute to L/D?

My long term goal is to make a long-endurance FPV platform that can cruise for a long time at low power, and I'm aiming for something very floaty and efficient in the same category as high-aspect ratio aircraft like the U-2, or even more extreme like the rutan voyager. What are some design considerations for such a plane besides the massive aspect ratio?

Big picture - Larger scale, higher speed = more efficient due to Reynolds number?
derp express is offline Find More Posts by derp express