View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
8,038 Posts
Soric - b****y Soric!

I have now built the second half. I just have to weld up the steel backing frame and build up the flange where required to achieve a flat contact surface with it.

I ran out of coremat for and used up some Soric which I had in stock. I consider this stuff to be a waste of money for my uses. It is far to heavy and weak for flying parts as I found out as a result of a series of vacuum resin infusion tests I conducted. All details on my blog. The short story is that the conventional hand layup balsa cored samples were far lighter and stronger than any resin infused samples that I did. The Soric cored samples were the weakest and heaviest by far. These samples failed along the hexagonal divisions when I applied a light bending force to them.

So I decided to use it up for the hand layup second side of this mould. This also was something of a mistake as the Soric has no geometric stability when wet out like the coremat has! It stretches and slides all over the place. I wish I had never even heard about it. It was expensive to get here too!

Oh well, the price of learning essential lessons is often high!

I also forgot to take pictures along the way. I'll take some of the steel work when the rain stops.

Meanwhile, it's rain, beautiful fire stopping rain here!

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jan 19, 2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: additional information.