The Ulu Mk III. I designed the first Ulu around 1990, for an Astro .40 direct drive on 18 to 20 1600 MaH Nicads. Loved the plane (built another Mk I and a Mk II), but with only about 3 minutes of power, it just wasn't worth continuing to refine.
I originally drew the Ulu up on paper, but made a CAD copy when I started playing around with CAD. I'm glad I did. Now that we have large capacity, low weight Lipos, though, I decided to revamp the Ulu by scaling it down (from 600 squares to 432) and using a Power 15 on a 3 or 4S pack.
The wing is balsa-sheeted foam core (per the original), but the rest of the structure is completely re-engineered. So far, it looks like the weight will be in the low 40's (ounce-wise), with a 3S2200. If need be, I'll go to a 4S2200.
Still to be fitted (as of this picture) are the ailerons. I"m not looking forwards to it, but I also need to mold the canopy....aren't may commercially available ones the way there was when I built the Mk I.