Thread: Discussion In-line geared motors?
View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:52 AM
Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
8,051 Posts
Discussion
In-line geared motors?

Hi guys, does anyone know of a readily available in-line geared 7 or 8 mm motor suitable for single cell operation? I have a 10 mm brushless that would fit, but if possible I'd like to use a Vapor brick and brushed motor to keep the weight/complexity down and I really don't need that much thrust.
Without a lot of expense, once you get into brushless it needs ESC and separate servos, etc. As far as I'm aware, the Spektrum compatible brushless receiver is for 2S use, further adding to the weight. A thrust/weight ratio of more than 2:1 sounds a shade excessive for this type of model.
I'm drawing up an 18" (or thereabouts) version of my Eastbourne Monoplane which has a 3 cylinder Anzani stuck on the nose. Conventional 7 mm geared units won't fit within the available space and I don't know of a direct drive motor that will do the job without drawing too many amps for the brick ESC.
Any advice about a geared unit, or suitable direct drive set up would be most welcome. I'm hoping total weight of the model will be around 40 grams, so if I have to I suppose a 5 gram outrunner on 1S would do but that involves the same complications as the 10 gram outrunner - just lighter.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE