View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:34 AM
Find More Posts by davereap
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,515 Posts
new covering for light weight kites..

after using the Xmas film at 40 microns I was looking for a lighter material... so I bought a load of plastic carrier bags from ebay..these are 12 microns and they also do a heavier bottle bag at 18microns..
The cost is very low for 50 bags or 100......or 1000's
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2510547276...84.m1497.l2649
I made a frame for a test...
Some depron with a hole cut in, stuck on the plastic with UHU por, and used a hot air gun to shrink the film... the results were good although the hot air gun will melt the plastic if you are not careful....and the shrinking and possibly the heat from the gun caused the depron to deform slightly
The follow up was to use the elevons of the above kite. I stuck the material down, then used a digital modeling iron at 110 degrees to shrink the material.. the part was ironed resting on a flat surface.... this is the best method as the temperature is much better controlled and there was no deformation of the part..

these cheap bags are superior to the foil in that they don't tear easily, you can cut them and the slit doesn't get larger..with the foil any cut has a tendancy to run on, and it has to be taped to stop the run......there is good shrinkage, but its not excessive.. its drum tight.. the material also seems tough enough for very light kites
It will be worth a trial on the heavier grade bags...
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Jan 17, 2013 at 05:45 AM.