Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:54 PM
Find More Posts by guaglione87
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Mansfield
Joined Apr 2012
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Any chance it's tailheavy? Sounds vaguely like that.

The SSS is VERY sensitive to CG position. Move it a quarter inch and it's a whole different airplane.

The manual recommends a CG position 100mm behind the leading edge of the wing. I put mine there, and found that seems to be about the best position, at least for me and my plane. YMMV.

I also flew mine with the CG about a quarter inch behind that point, and it kept bobbing its nose up and down, with me trying to keep it steady with the stick, and stalled frequently. Sound faPmiliar?

And I flew mine with the CG as far forward as 93mm behind the leading edge (which is about a quarter inch forward of where the manual recommends). Still flew fine. But with every hand launch, the plane would dip toward the ground, requiring a real fast up-elevator to yank it back up and avoid the grass.

Experiment with the CG position, and see where your plane flies best.

See the Technical Info/FAQ page for the Super Sky Surfer at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22886340
I do believe you are correct. She was a bit tail heavy but I did all I could with the 3 s 4000 mah I had at the field. I will put my 4s 4000mah and move the cg up.

A thought about those using gyros to run cg way far back - that really kills efficiency. Reason being is that you more often have the control surfaces deflecting to keep the plane stabile. You can imagine in turn how constant up ele is not efficient as a properly balanced plane where neutral ele balances the plane. Not to mention that non sense kills ur range of deflection. Just my 2 cents
guaglione87 is online now Find More Posts by guaglione87