Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:34 PM
Find More Posts by EricClark
AMA - 734492
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2007
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Why? The temperature control is guaranteed. I told them exactly what happened and they gladly gave me a replacement. I haven't tested the new one yet. I did over amp several old Turnigy ESC's and they cut out just like they are supposed to. As far as abusing it, I was unaware that I was overamping the ESC. So, it was an accident, not abuse. Testing other ESC's is exactly that. If I can't depend on the built in protection, I won't use it. After all, it HAS to be there to protect the plane against overamping. You might be ashamed. I am not in the least. I expect any ESC to operate according to its specs. If it doesn't, why bother buying it. And, if it fails, I expect it to be replaced. Expecting them to replace the whole plane would be unrealistic. But, I lost an entire airplane because of their failed ESC. Certainly, they have a responsibility for the failure. That is just good business.
AJ
You said "I expect any ESC to operate according to its specs" but clearly you do not expect they should be operated within their designated amperage.

However, what bothers me the most is that you put out negative comments about a good company and their products based on your own negligence to do proper tests while using their equipment. You are basically saying that you rely on a BACKUP fail safe system to protect your planes rather than to do a simple calculation or watt meter test. Then when your ignorance causes your aircraft to pull WAY too many amps through an ESC that was never designed nor intended to handle that much current you claim their products are defective and not worth buying. To top it off, you even have the audacity to try to get it replaced for free! That is why kaptondave said (and I agree) he would be ashamed to ask for a replacement.

Edit: Granted, the CC ESC's current limiting function should have kicked in and shut it down BUT... that does not excuse your actions for poor implementation of their product.

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
Last edited by EricClark; Jan 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM.