View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by Averan
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
133 Posts
I stopped using packing tape for covering and have used 3mm cold laminating film instead. I always use a gift/creditcard for applying bubble-free and I usually start with the leading edge in the center of a single piece that folds over the top and bottom with some overlap at the trailing edge.

I've only purchased the film from Staples ($20/10ft), but it's too pricey there and I need to order online. The cold laminating film is basically a very wide (20") roll of packing tape!

Whether you use packing tape or laminating film, I've found the best results are when I follow the curve of the airfoil from trailing edge to LE and back around to TE...stretching the tape/film tight the whole time so that it adheres to the foam under tension. This gives a surprising bit of rigidity to the wing, allowing me to minimize how much structural support I need inside. I don't think it matters which edge the tape overlaps on....I always reinforce the LE before I have even folded the airfoil into shape so I keep overlap to a minimum.
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan