View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,863 Posts
Greetings All

Well yesterday and last night stringerfication of the fuselage got underway. Using a mix of basswood and balsa 3/32" sq stock for the stringers. Using bass in some of the more high stress areas and balsa towards the tail. I have gotten into the habit of using bass stringers in my Pat Tritle builds as I can break the balsa stringers Pat uses by just looking at them the wrong way. Usually I use bass in the areas where I know I will be handling the model and balsa elsewhere. Since this fuselage will be sheeted I did not use a lot of bass, most of it will be on the bottom where I will be picking it up.

There is one additional former on the tail end that has not yet been added (since I am convinced I will knock it off multiple times. It is the former the MAD Boom attached to so I will add that as I get some more stringers on so it can be supported properly.

As far as retracts I think I have decided to go with the E Flite 60-120 size electric retracts. The Robarts that Pat drew in on the plans are available but are a bit pricey (not that the E Flite ones aren't either!!) but the electric ones get you away from either mechanical linkages and servos or the air tank and plumbing. So we will see how they work out. As soon as they arrive I will be able to see how the nose mounts and whether I need to modify the mounting plate any. Once that is determines I can get the nose gear mounts installed and the front bottom formers and stringers in.

While I wait for the retracts I might start on the tail.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is online now Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Last edited by Brian Allen; Oct 13, 2014 at 01:54 PM.