View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by acesimmer
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,426 Posts
Discussion
Composite skinned wing structure

I have a T28 manufactured foam model to composite conversion build thread. I have completed the entire fuselage and tail molds and have two models in assemble readying for test flights using the original foam wing.

I know of several ways to make wings that are strong and relatively light. This model is highly detailed so I plan on making detailed epoxy glass wing skins from molds. I know that going composite will add weight so I'm looking for ideas and or previous designs that will be strong yet reasonably light weight that are skinned on the outer surface.

I plan on testing several concepts from foam board internal structure to 2k expanded foam. I think this would be a great thread for many of us to get involved with. So far most of the research that I have found is usually to do with gliders. I'm talking scale models from 50" wingspan and up.

I have refined my other layup techniques so that I have reduce weight and increased strength by laying up with strips instead of whole pieces of cloth. These strips have a small overlap that provides great rigidity with minimal weight buildup. So now it is time to tackle the wing. Following is my build thread.

The Challenge
- Simple approach with out using expensive vacuum bagging etc.
- Not using carbon fiber in the structure.
- New creative inexpensive techniques/ideas.

I look forward to having you all involved.....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767143
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Last edited by acesimmer; Jan 16, 2013 at 09:09 AM.