Thread: Build Log Hobby King "SIX" hexa
View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by bill34207
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,960 Posts
I suppose this one is due for an update. My other frame kit arrived a couple weeks ago and the new 750 kv motors came in last Thursday (I think)

My best advice to anyone that wants to build this frame would be to buy two of them so you will have enough matching hardware to complete one. As a bonus you will have a good supply of replacement glass parts should you need one.
Yep, this kit was short as well. Missing a arm standoff this time.

Anyways, with it's evenly spaced arms the hexa is a lot harder to keep orientation on than a FPV type quad, so decided to paint 4 of the arms on my spare frame to make it easier to tell which side is which.

Last night I took a few pix of progress so far and managed to get all six motors attached to their respective arms. This evening I hooked up one of the esc's and attached some different ends to an old watt meter and made an adapter so I could check things for amp draw.
With an APC 10x4.7 SF prop on and a barely above storage voltage 3s pack it peaked around 10 amps with 111 watts and the battery sagging to about 11.3v.
Same prop and an almost fully charged 4s pack, full throttle peaked at 17 amps with 297 watts produced. Half throttle was only about 6 amps and 175 watts. Holding the arm by hand it felt like plenty of lift to me, especially when multiplied by 6.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bill34207; Jan 15, 2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling