Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by Ed Couch
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,914 Posts
Discussion
Tail Rotor ESC for Airships

Gentlemen

One of my big problems in flying our airships are that most of the tail rotor ESC's are built for use in ground vehicles that can give one forward or reverse when needed. For the blimps it translate to right or left directional control. Here is the hitch. Castle Creations and several other designs will allow you to set the range of reverse to 100 percent or what should be equal in rpm and amperage as the normal forward speed. In 90 percent of the cases that is not the case. What I am looking for is a speed controller that will give me the same rpm in reverse as it will forward. Presently its something that we have to live with as I have at least 10 Castle Creations ESC's in airships flying at this time. They work but its not any fun. This occurs not only in brushed motors but brushless as well.

My question is does anyone know of an ESC that will give 100 percent equal power forward and reverse? The controller needs to be able to handle brushless motors up to an Eflite 25 and up to 4 cells litepolly packs. 40 to 80 amps continuous. Big order but there should be something out there. Castle keeps saying we do but we can't seem to get it to work. Any help appreciated. ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch