Thread: Help! Old heli becomes gyro
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by Flash Wallace
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Aug 2012
19 Posts
Hi
Thanks for your comments and helpful advice. As you can see from the pictures just posted I have made some changes. I have replaced the under carriage with a taller set. The gyro now has exactly 20 deg of rotor incidence.
I was also a little concerned with he hang angle, even though Andy's comments were, more is better than not enough, so I have reduced it by shifting the battery pack into the tail boom. This had reduced the hang angle by 3-4 degrees.
I will consider another tail configuration but in looking at some video footage of a full size gyro, where the tail fin was not tall enough to be completely within the upper and lower prop wash, the gyro had to continually hold right rudder to compensate. It was a pusher rather than a tractor so may be a little different given the longer distance to the til fin. I will add another fin if needed.
I have swapped out the motor for a fresher more powerful unit.
I am now well and truly ready for a flight, so with no more changes to make at this stage, the next fine slightly breezy day will be the next test flight day. Hopefully with video to follow.
Flash Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Flash Wallace