Got the last of the "checkerboard" stuff on.. and its not too bad. Definately not perfect, but for the first time out with the above mentioned technique, and the fact it didn't cost me one dime, as it was done with off-cut remnants that I saved for just such a purpose.
I have to say, I'm impressed with the technique, and it did get easier for sure. I don't know how it would work on large(ish) graphics.. that would lead to more challenges.. more material.. etc.. but this is great for smaller graphics.. I'm definately going to use it in the future.. not just for this style art, but the possiblities are endless really.
I did deviate a bit on the video, in that when it was time to put the graphic down..I used Trim Solvent.. the gentleman in the video used Windex I believe...I don't know how well his stuck.. I tried it like he did, and I got terrible results.. I can't remember Monokote sticking that good with an iron either.. nothing compares to the solvent.... man... I tried a small piece on another plane just to see how easy it would lift.. and it WILL NOT lift.. basically it will lift the base off the wood before the top layer even thinks about coming off.. so inotherwords TrimSolvent is my new friend for graphics like this...
Heres a few pics... I will hopefully have some more done tomorrow.. its getting there slowly.. but at least its moving again.