View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by Steve 0
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,401 Posts
Ellipso Lite led to something completely different....

Being a newbie to all things RC ( not counting IR Symas), I jumped in with both feet and got a DX6i and a Mini Vapor for Christmas....and that's how my disease started.lol!

So while learning to fly and unlearning the crashing part I quickly realized I'm gonna need more planes.

To the $ Tree! 10 sheets later and my man room south wall is covered in hanging planes...waiting for better weather.

In the meantime...another trip to my LFS (local foam supply) for 10 more sheets and some more thoughtful building as to what I actually want to crash...I mean fly first. I built a P51, P40, Yak 54, Cutlass, a 60" wing, some practice Armin foils, an Antionette hybrid, an E-Bipe....the list goes on.

And finally an E-Lite which turned out fair but with amazing glide test results this evening!

Which led me to the thread post tonight. How about a big wingspan E-Lite? I contacted Dalton and with his encouragement came up with the first model version. Based on the Ellipso Lite plans with only two major changes. The first, I added 3" to the OAL. The second....a 60 inch wingspan with dyhedral and a higher wing mount. I may carry it over to the gym for glide tests but am a little antsy about the wing mount breaking. It's a balsa rig modeled after biplane cabanes and it's a bit rickety for my tastes, yet. I may end up having to add angled supports to stiffen the attachment (which is removable for transport)....but then that adds weight. My goal is to achieve a super slow indoor RET similar in flight characteristics as the rubber powered penny planes. Cut out weight was 77 grams and then after build weight was 66 grams. What the? I then realised the paper was still on all the wing ribs and another part. I thought no way the hot glue made it lighter!?!!?!

Anyway, I promised Dalton pics...here's a few.

Steve

Steve 0 is offline Find More Posts by Steve 0