Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by kdean
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnc View Post
For those looking at sims and worried about various Walkera radios, maybe this will help.

Helisimrc - I'm running on Vista basic and I've used with: 2403 with a mono cable to mic jack on computer with Smartpropo plus and vJoy virtual joystick, 2801 with same configuration, Devo 10 with the USB to mono cable (UB-001) and it shows up as a PPM device in the control panel

ClearView - Same Vista computer: 2403 with a mono cable to mic jack on computer with Smartpropo plus and vJoy virtual joystick, 2801 with same configuration, Devo 10 with the USB to mono cable (UB-001)

Phoenix - Same Vista computer: 2403, 2801, and Devo10 with the included Phoenix cable/dongle that is a USB to stereo jack (to the trainer port on the tx). On each tx, it won't start in PC mode unless there is a mono plug, plugged in. So I would plug in the cable mentioned for the other sims, turn on tx, then unplug and plug in the Phoenix cable. I could avoid this by buying a Radio Shack stereo to mono adapter for a few bucks, just never a priority. On the Devo 10, I've switched to the Deviation firmware and it works perfect with the Phoenix cable with no problems.

Best part is that on Phoenix, I have created variants that turned off the software parameters for governor, pitch, and throttle curves and I now use the full tx programming. It makes the heli's handle much more realistic. I love it. The Phoenix posts on Helifreak helped me here.

You do need to configure all of the channels for each controller in each sim, and make sure you calibrate with each sim, but I've had great luck with them all working. Of them all, Phoenix is my favorite (even better with my widescreen tv as a monitor).

I may try each of these on some other operating systems and report back as well.

Chris
how would you compare the flight physics of these sims? Which one is more 'real' when it comes to how the heli flies and reacts to wind and gravity?
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean