View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2004, 02:07 AM
Find More Posts by webguyjv
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Getting More Practice...

Well - true to the old adage "One good turn deserves another", I went back to Del Valle on Saturday afternoon. Lenny couldn't make it on that day.

The whole gang was there and I had a lot of fun flying with them.

I launched the Hobie Hawk while there was maybe only one guy flying, and I was able to venture out far to the West, catching some big lift, and at one point, seeming to be 3 or 400 feet in the air. That flight lasted me about 35 minutes. I decided to walk up to the big LZ and land when it got to the point where there were about 5 foamies in the air.

I'm a foamie pilot myslf, but I just felt nervous about my ability to avoid potential midairs. I landed the Hobie Hawk, and flew the Moth for at least an hour.

After most everyone had gone home, and the lift had dramatically reduced, I again launched the Hobie Hawk and flew for a good 20 minutes. One guy I flew with was flying an Olympic 650. He told me that he was one of the first Hobie Hawk distributors back in the 70s - amazing coincidence.

The nice thing was (as Jack had stated earlier) getting used to the "the feel" of this airplane. I got it to the point where the waggling almost never happened.

This plane is a real delight. Thanks Jack, for all of the great info.

Happy Flying ;-)

Webguyjv
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv