Thread: Idea Bill's Rudder Rules
View Single Post
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2007
179 Posts
Steve,

Glad to hear I am not alone in this, and I see where you're going with rules 3 & 4. I like also your categorization of this method of flying (2nd person). Personally, I tried the first-person scenario but it never worked and the more I thought about it, the more I saw that approach as futile. My approach stems from a "FLY RC" article I saw around 2008 which had the following aileron rule which worked beautifully for me: when the model is approaching you, put the stick under the wing you want to raise.

I'm memorizing the advanced sequence now and since this has a lot of rolling maneuvers in the vertical plane I am trying to work out aileron rules for this orientation as the standard aileron rule (above) doesn't work well. Do you have anything for that?

Regarding p-factor, spiral slipstream, torque and the use of the rudder, Peter+'s comments and yours are well made. I have always found Dave Scott's graphics and explanations of these factors to be excellent (see Dave's Precision Aerobatics). I didn't include this in my original post as it's outside of the original question.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I will have to see if I can edit the title of this thread because your post proves that I can't claim such rules to myself anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graham View Post
Bill,

Kudos on attempting to break it down. Understanding conceptually what your trying to do is an important step......That being what is sometimes referred to as unconscious competence.
HouseOf4Doors is offline Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors
Last edited by HouseOf4Doors; Jan 09, 2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Clarity, brevity