Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by twn Chen
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
Chen,

I wonder how this could be, since the thicker wing is made of the same foam as the thinner one? I'm also curious as to the type of foam an SS wing is made of? It is never advertised or discussed.

My thinner wings sure seem like they would snap under less tension than the thicker wings, but I've been wrong before.

Rick
The foam used on the older thinner wing was the same as ordinary depron sheets, while the foam of the thicker wing was different and softer, that's why GWS had to add its thickness for keeping the same strength as the thinner one. But I found that the thicker one is still easier to get snapped than the thinner one under the same tension, something like soft grade balsa sheet vs medium hard balsa sheet, same thick ones. Oh well, balsa is way better than those foams in my idea.

And look at the latest GWS Beaver's wing, and the wings of Pico Cub, Pico Stick, Pico TM, they were all covered by a very thin coat, why ? Same reason for the strength needed. The wings of the oldest versions of all these birds did not come with the thin coat on their tops, and they looked even whiter, why ? Same reason applied. I think that they could not find out the same foam material in China as what they originally applied in Taiwan, as a result adding thickness or the top coat became a must on all these birds. The good thing is they look thicker and tougher, the downside is they are slightly heavier and not as tough as what they look like. Fortunately, brushless motors plus lipo give more power on these birds, but I'd like to add reinforcements to their tail feathers if I have to build them up.
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Last edited by twn Chen; Jan 09, 2013 at 07:28 PM.