View Single Post
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:46 AM
Find More Posts by ahamay
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Jun 2012
291 Posts
I've been stuffing around investigating what's required to get the zyx adapter to work with Windows 8. I know some of you have had success by turning off the driver signing but there are going to be a lot of people that will never get it working.

The adapter chip is a Prolific usb to serial convertor which is a common chip used to convert usb to rs232.

The adapter i have is an early version that I got from oomodel with my zyx back when they first came out. It appears that there are a few models of the chip and the one that I have is not supported under windows 8. The chip I have is a PL-2303HXA, the newer ones should be a PL-2303HXD which should work ok.

You can download the latest 32 and 64 bit drivers from the prolific website which are signed and will install ok under windows 8. There is also a utility that you can run on windows 7/XP that will tell you what chip you have (pic below).

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowPr...id=225&pcid=41

For those that have it running under windows 8, it would be helpful if you could download the driver package from prolific above and run the utility and let me know what chip your adapter has on it.

This is a quote from the Prolific website re the chip models:

Windows Driver Installer Setup Program
(For PL2303 HXA, XA, HXD, EA, RA, SA, TA, TB versions)
Installer version & Build date: 1.7.0 (2012-8-1)
Windows XP (32 & 64-bit) WDM WHQL Driver: v2.1.35.211
- Compatible with Windows 2000SP4 & Server2003
Windows Vista/7/8 (32 & 64-bit) WDF WHQL Driver: v3.4.36.247
- Windows 8 Certified WHQL Driver
- Driver also available via Windows Update (Vista, 7, 8)
- Compatible with Windows Server2008/Server2008R2/Server2012

NOTE:

Windows 8 is NOT supported in PL-2303HXA and PL-2303X EOL chip versions.
Run PL2303 CheckChipVersion tool program in Windows XP/Vista/7 to check chip version.
Prolific recommends to buy PL-2303HXD (HX Rev D) chip.

Cheers
Jonesy
ahamay is offline Find More Posts by ahamay