View Single Post
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:30 PM
Find More Posts by ooyah
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED_C View Post
Did some work on Sole plate and main bearings today. Temperature in Sydney reached 43 degrees but I still managed to get a few things done.

However, I have encountered a bit of a problem. Distance between bearings when fitted into the Sole plate is 15.87mm (5/8), but distance across crankshaft webs according to the drawing is about 17.4mm, (cant remember exact Imperial size). I checked and rechecked bearing dimensions, but everything is spot on size. Bearings are not bolted down yet, I just centered them into the slot (lengthwise) and took measurements

Did anybody else encounter this problem before ?
Zelko,
This is what I was trying to say on my previous post, the 5/8" between the bearings is the O/All width over the crank webs, i.e. 5/16" inside the web + 5/32" x 2 for the webs gives 5/8" but if Stuart's have supplied 3/16" Bright flat bar this throws the dimensions out.
5/32" bright flat bar is no longer available in the U.K. hence the 3/16".
This means that the center bearing if you use 3/16" thk B.M.S. flat should be 23/32" not 25/32" and the 2- outside bearings need to be trimmed to fit.
Or if you stick to the original method of using 5/32" thk B.M.S. flat the drawing is correct.

It should be no problem to you with your skills to make the webs from round bar, part then off to 5/32" thk.

Hope this helps.

George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah