Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by Knoll53
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
3,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wright View Post
I did have some glue marks that I cleaned off that I was sure would not show. How wrong I was... it looks like it has measles in places.
I know exactly what you're talking about. I've never been able to work with wood of any kind without accidentally getting those glue "holidays" in the finished stain. No matter how carefully I work and clean up, the glue spills will seal the wood, thus ruining the finished stain. The only method that works for me is to pre-stain (and seal) the virgin wood the moment it come out of the box, then after the building is all done, you can always wash the project with another layer of stain to make it as uniform as possible. Also, don't "test stain" any areas that are to be glued. My stain also seals the wood. It does so, so well that glue does not penetrate, and thus makes a very weak joint. It will look OK, but you can just peel it right apart with your hands, let alone a hard landing.

Some how Lothar is able to build then stain with good results.....I don't know how he does it. Maybe it's trick photography...

Painting at this point should be do-able for you with the right primer. Very smooth may not be good though. Andres has mentioned a few times that the roughness of the plywood is probably a good thing at our Re numbers. Also, an opaque stain should cover up the measles.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
Last edited by Knoll53; Jan 08, 2013 at 03:50 PM.