Thread: Build Log He-219 UHU
View Single Post
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by pmullen503
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,795 Posts
The first step is to blow up a 3 view to the proper size. I trace over it (in Coreldraw) to get the drawing into an editable form and fair up the lines. That way I can print out full size templates.

The backer boards are made from 1/2" plywood. Blocks of foam are rough cut to size with a hotwire using cardboard templates and then glued to the boards. There is a gap between the blocks the width of the cardboard templates so I can slide them in while shaping to check progress. Rough cutting the blocks is the most time consuming part of the process.

Dead straight 1x2" spines are screwed to the backers. These not only allow me to clamp the form in a bench vise to hold it while shaping, but also keep the form from bowing when baking it in the oven.

First, I shape the foam with a drywall sanding mesh tool to quickly to bring it to shape. Once I get it to within about an 1/8" of the final dimensions I stop worrying about matching the templates exactly and concentrate on getting nice fair curves and making both sides match each other. There's no guarantee that the 3 view (or my tracing of them) is correct. So when in doubt, I try to match photos. Shaping the forms takes me about an hour.

Once I'm satisfied with the forms, I give them a heavy coat of WBPU to harden them up a bit and make them more dent resistant.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Last edited by pmullen503; Jan 07, 2013 at 08:32 PM.