View Single Post
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by ysolomon
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
3,063 Posts
Dangaras, take whatever I tell you now with a grain of salt, as I haven't finished the build the don't have numbers. My setup is Tacon 160 with HobbyWing 120A HV ESC. Note that the Tacon 160 is rated up to 14S LiPo. You appear to want to drive them by 6S/8S? The motor has 245Kv. If you run it at 6S, you will get only 5400 RPM. I think that even on a 160x10x3 prop you will not get anywhere near the amount of power you need for this plane. On 8S, you will get 7300 RPM max. For a 16" prop, you probably need around 9000 RPM (the rule of thumb is 160,000 / diameter in inches, so 10,000 for this prop. I'm planning on using 12S batteries (2x 6S 5000mAh in SERIES).

One question to think about, though, is where you want to put the ESCs. I initially thought about putting them in the nacelles, but then realized that I will have very long battery leads. Maybe OK with capacitors all the way, but I don't like it. Now I'm thinking about putting them right on the center wing (under the canopy), or maybe even in the nose (close to the batteries), and run long motor wires instead.
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon