Find More Posts by RCROBBY
Laser Cutter Guy
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brner View Post
Rob,

Don't want to belabor the point but maybe an explanation based on the picture below will be easier for an old man to understand.....lol

Line 1 is a three segment polyline. Line 2 is a copy of Line 1 that has been splined.

Notice that the handles in both cases have not changed position. If the lines were overlayed the handles would be in exactly the same spot for both lines.

The dashed lines are merely reference lines.

If you were to cut Line 1, I'm sure you would end up with three straight line segment cuts based on the handles. No problem so far....

Now, if you were to cut Line 2, which clearly shows as a curve on the drawing, would you end up with a curved cut or the same cut line as Line 1 based on the handles? Does your machine follow the curve shown or the handles?

Guess I went ahead and belabored the point but I do appreciate your patience with this question.

TIA,

Don
No problem on the questions, I see what you are talking about now. In AutoCad the "Handles" are called nodes and typically on a spline or arc they are ON the object line, not away from it (similar to what you have in line 1). I am not 100% sure how the laser would react to that for cutting. If you want to E-mail me a dxf sample of those 2 types of lines I'll put it in the laser and see what it does.
RCROBBY is offline Find More Posts by RCROBBY