Thread: Build Log 169" Emmaselle 2 Racer
View Single Post
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
31,969 Posts
Just as a matter of mentioning. I used to race 1/4 scale radio controlled sprint cars, and we made our own wheels and tires. The wheels from round stock aluminum, and the tires were glued up from 1" thick sheet hard foam rubber. As this was about 20 years ago, I don't remember the name of the foam though it may have been Nitrile, or possibly even Neoprene. Here is one source of rubber sheeting, though there may be someplace closer to you. When I made mine I used a "General" brand circle cutter that I put an Exacto blade in. The problem is it only goes up to seven inches. That said, it would not be difficult for someone with a lathe and mill to make an adapter for it to cut larger circles/rings out with. Considering how long they lasted as tires for a gas power sprint car running on asphalt, I would bet they would work fine for a plane. And...I have some 5" tires that are made of the same type of foam, that are built up of three layers. I much harder center ring that is about 1/4" thick, with outer layers of slightly softer foam.

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...