View Single Post
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by carlsoti
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,378 Posts
Awesome. I'm going to check it out.

I've been fooling with a personally modded version of the "Dave Edit" Fireworks in RF for over a year, and ran into some of the same "issues" you did with the thermal field in RF. Since I don't really know anything about creating models or decent fields, I just altered the airplane settings to significantly reduce the amount of camber in the wing (basically flying in differing amounts of reflex all the time.) I just don't know how to go about making anything from square one.

Hopefully you read my mind and these models and fields address my concerns.

One thing I'd like to see is an "adjustable" discus launch setting for launch altitude.

Even better would be setting a "target altitude" with a variance added. For example, if I typically throw (In RealLife, not RealFlight) in the 140-150 ft range, I could set RF to a 145ft launch target altitude, and it would randomly vary from 145ft by a selectable percentage. Some of the guys I have flown with have amazingly repeatable launches, but I'm large and uncoordinated, so the launch variance in RF would make it more life-like.

Sure, it'd be fun for a dozen throws to crank it up to 500ft, but it'd be better to limit it to 100ft, or some other low number, and force yourself to fly low lift efficiently. Some of you guys may not need that practice, but I sure do.

I get nervous that, in RL, I'm going to stall my DLG from 10 feet up (or even higher) and pile it into the ground. I'm kinda twitchy on the sticks to begin with, and can use all the practice I can get.

I've briefly put up both stock thermal fields and slopes for on-line multiplayer sessions. In a total span of about 6 hours online, I saw only three other pilots, including the that come in with a jet, saw it start rolling down the slope, and bail. One guy flew slope with me for about 10 minutes. We spent another 5 or so chatting about flying. Another guy flew thermals with me for awhile, 30 minutes or so.

If we could somehow set up a "schedule" for on-line flying, we might get more pilots, and it could be a more rewarding experience.

P.S. I DL'ed the Orca as soon as I saw it. I don't have any practical slope experience, and have never flown a wingeron plane, so I can't honestly tell you if it's any good, but it looks fantastic, and I like flying it. Looking forward to flying the SG. Going to DL it now.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti