Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:28 AM
Find More Posts by ooyah
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED_C View Post
Thanks Dunc,

Making counterweights of any shape is not going to be a problem, I have access to a Water Jet cutter ( I operated it for 5 years ). So your recommendation is to use dowels and soldering ? Standard procedure, drill, ream then tap in the dowels ? 2 mm dowels will be sufficient ?
Zed ,
You are a very fortunate guy having access to so much machinery, the majority of us have to do with a modelers lathe and if fortunate enough to have a mill consider ourselves lucky.

We all have our preferred method of making crank shafts for the Stuart engines, Having made several D10's and on the first one I silver soldered the webs to the shaft and boy what a mess, it seamed to take for ever to clean it.
I now make the webs from round bar, shape to balanced type, glue them to the shaft with Loctite 603, leave overnight to cure, drill and ream for 5/64" Taper pins, cut out the part on the main shaft not required and now no mess to clean.
Apart from the aesthetic appearance of balanced webs it makes no difference to the running of the engine.
Here are some pics of a Launch engine crank shaft.

Best wishes with your build.

George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah