Thread: Discussion Post your RC failures!
View Single Post
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by AA5BY
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,874 Posts
Time was the mid 1970's. I'd come out of control line into RC and wasn't planning to go back so converted a Fox .35 Stunt C/L engine to RC by adding a throttled carb. It seemed to run fine and was fitted to a just completed scratch build from magazine plans. In those days, I (and most RC fliers) had one set of radio gear and it was fitted and the engine tested... all seemed fine.

Climb out to the right went perfect, the plane had ground handled well and lifted off smoothly and was climbing very nicely when... I lost it. While never getting trimmed, it evidently was in fairly good trim as it established a slow right turn behind the flight line. It continued the turn and was off to the left rear when obtaining enough bank to lose altitude, though it had only climbed to about one hundred feet.

At full power, it slammed into the near vertical face of a clay bank left from excavating the site. Memory has it that the pieces were the smallest of any crash witnessed. The cause... evidently the battery case had been shoe horned too tightly under the fuel tank as vibration had broken a battery tab.

It has always grieved me that a scratch build that seemed to be so close to good trim, never got the opportunity to really show its stuff and that an engine I'd been proud of converting, seemed up to the task but I let it down by carelessness.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY