View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by Francesco
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Apr 2001
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Hi Francesco, on the molded Supra, for zoom speed it was actually -.5 degrees in reflex and not quite flat bottomed.
Cruise was 2 degrees camber, and penetration was with .5 degrees camber so there was a 1 degree reflex difference between fast flying vs zoom.

On the Maxa, there is also about a 1mm flap setting difference between fast horizontal flying ( penetration mode) and zoom speed. Penetration is with wing flat bottomed and adding an extra mm reflex to this would yield better performance for zoom speeds.

However, I think adding a bit more might be better as Kyle experienced because of the droop nose. The added reflex beyond optimal causes the wing to fly at just slightly less than "no lift" = negative lift which keeps the fuse more inline with the airflow. Just my hunch based on other planes I have tested .
That's curious, as I am not aware of a change in the airfoil between Dr. Drela's bagged Supra and the molded one.

Do you have a Maxa, Tuan? It'd be interesting to share our settings. Personally I think that 1 mm difference is too low to get to the minimum drag point. I think I have closer to 4 degrees difference. Plus, anything of that order of magnitude is likely to be "masked" by the linkage and servo slop. May be placebo, but nothing real.
Francesco is offline Find More Posts by Francesco