Thread: Discussion New steam engine supplier
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:42 PM
Find More Posts by Brooks
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,555 Posts
Kno3, thanks for the info. As a matter of clarification, the action of a disk valve + engine piston valve is to do as I stated, namely convert inside admission to outside admission. I have a steam launch that uses a disk valve to do this flip/flop. Accucraft uses a interestingly machined piston valve to accomplish this flip/flop of admission in the engine piston valves.

Piston valves on real US locos didn't flip/flop admission, but were re-timed via the 2 eccentrics (or their equivalent, via linkage, in a radial style gear). One reason was that the reversal of steam flow inherent in a flip/flop causes energy losses until the valve chest has adjusted to the new heat flow patterns. Loss of energy translates into condensation: a switch engine running back and forth would be spitting condensed water out the relief cocks all day.

How does the Typhoon motor keep the pins from hitting the throttle arm once motor starts? I suppose one way would be to run the arm past the pins. Inspired design would allow machining the disk to allow slow throttle action to occur once the arm had cleared the pins, perhaps?
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Dec 30, 2012 at 05:48 PM.