View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:51 PM
Find More Posts by JIMA
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
3,113 Posts
Question
Mod Podge the same as Balsa-loc?

I bought some Mod Podge from my local Walmart in the craft section and have been doing some experiments with it. It is marketed as a waterbase sealer, glue, and finish. I have used Balsa-loc in the past and the Mod Podge looks exactly like it. It is a white creamy liquid.

I have used it so far as an adhesive to iron down polyspan and also in a thinned amount to seal the polyspan. Brushed on my project straight from the bottle it makes a very good iron on adhesive. I like it much better than Balsarite or Sig Stix-it. Cleans up with water.

I tried to seal my polyspan with a thinned with water mixture. Thinned to a thin cream and brushed on fairly thick, it dries level and only seems to need two applications to fill and seal the weave. Can then polish the surface with 000 fine steel wool for an ultra smooth finish. If you polish too much then add another coat and do it again.

I have not reached the point of actually painting the polyspan but looks really promising.

I always like to try to find materials that I can work with and replenish locally and so far am really impressed with this product. Could this actually just be Balsaloc in a different label or application?

Thanks
Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA