View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by timetec
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2010
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
This is not a new observation, and I have recently mentioned this issue to the developer again. Most want to decrease the volume level more, not increase it. I don't know if it's even possible to increase it... it may be at max for the hardware already with the high setting. If you look at the attached image, I recently made three videos with three #16 cameras, all running the same (recent) FW and recording the exact same sound and located the same distance from the source, but each with one of the three volume level settings. As you can see in the sound track waveforms, there is a very noticeable difference in the video sound track amplitude. BUT, this doesn't really tell what is going on.

The audible sound perception (measured in decibels) is a logarithmic function, not linear. My editor is not likely showing the amplitude on a logarithmic scale, and/or the attenuation between settiings is so small as to not be very distinguishable audibly. I can tell a small audible difference between low and the other two, but middle and high sound the same to my ear. If enough people feel more adjustment range is needed, perhaps we will see this in a future FW revision.
Hi Tom - many thanks for your very concise reply and for going to the great trouble of recording clips using the three volume level settings.
As you say, the levels are difficult to differentiate from each other and your graph shows linear variation only.

I'll do a bit of work on this and see if I can come up with a simple hardware solution.

Richard
timetec is offline Find More Posts by timetec