View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:05 AM
Find More Posts by charlespereira
Brazil, SC, Florianopolis
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
Thanks for the video Charles. I liked how you put the thin layer of glass into the tooling coat. Was your mould poliester, or just the tooling coat?
Cheers
Josh
Hello Josh!

Everything on this mold is poliester based, including the tooling coat!

I made the first lamination of the tail.

Was a lot of work because my lack of practice.

I will do several tests with this tail, which is small and so I do not spend much material.

In this first lamination used a layer of fiberglass on the outside and one layer of carbon inside. The glass fiber was nearly transparent.

I gave up the idea of letting the carbon out, because the mesh is very loose. I only found a 200g/m² carbon tissue here in Brazil.

As you can see in the photo, there are some air bubbles, especially in the corners at the bottom. To avoid this I will use epoxy microspheres next time.

What has really difficult was how to join the two halves. As the piece is very thin, do not know the best way to do it. I let the leftover fabric in the mold because I found it very difficult to sand or cut. Then I epoxy in the corners and closed.

I think the best way will be to try to make a template to cut the fabric exactly the size of the mold. I will test it next lamination.

This is weighing 47g. I think it is very heavy. Maybe used too much resin and carbon.

I'm also thinking about using a 1mm balsa for reinforcement.

I appreciate comments, especially about a good way to make the joints.

--
Charles Pereira
charlespereira is offline Find More Posts by charlespereira
Last edited by charlespereira; Dec 30, 2012 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Put a photo