Thread: Build Log Fr3aK Zone
View Single Post
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:36 PM
tom43004 is offline
Find More Posts by tom43004
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
tom43004's Avatar
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
7,352 Posts
Looks wise it will be the same as the full carbon one posted earlier. I'll be reducing the size of the doublers a bit (which aren't visible because they're under the main skin) and moving to 38kgm^3 Rohacell 31IGF which sheds about 6-8g from the cores alone. Rohacell is a bit lighter and more consistent in density than the PVC based foam I've been using to date. I also will probably skinny down the spar just a bit as I believe it's wider than need be.

I'd hope to get the lightweight under 120g consistently. Last year I made a couple of wings under 115g but they weren't durable enough for my satisfaction... got a bit ratty after just a few contests. MattN blew one up too which was a bit red flag. I replaced it with one in the mid 120s and to my knowledge he hasn't been able to break that one yet. I blew up the other one but that was in a hurricane with 3oz ballast in NC so I'll give that wing a pass.

An update on the process... I've pulled eight wings since moving to solid core and shipped two. The last two were the first that were production quality IMHO, and still not yet perfect. I'm getting the scrap rate down now but I wasted alot of materials on the process. I got more rohacell and PVC foam today, another gallon of MGS yesterday, and my RnG order has cleared customs with a bunch of the 64g/sm Textreme so I'll be banging lots of stuff out in the next couple weeks. I have enough tail rohacell for about 3 years and now I have enough wing foam for my next 30-40 models.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Reply With Quote