View Single Post
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:37 AM
Find More Posts by otrcman
Joined Mar 2009
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus.pony View Post
Nice job Brett.C!
But I'm also thinking that John Gosney's Ryan may be one of those converted to use a Fairchild 6-cylinder engine. In some of these shots the cowling/engine cover looks a little longer than standard and the engine exhaust arrangement is different.
2 X 3-into-1 set-up. There's small company in the San Fran., CA area (Santa Paula) that does the conversions.
Cheers!
Yes, I'm pretty sure you are right. In one of the shots you can see the very front of the engine through the cowl air intake. Visible is the vertical drive that turns the overhead camshaft. That's peculiar to a (Fairchild) Ranger engine. The Menasco is a pushrod engine. And you are also right that the exhaust is more peculiar to a Ranger. Menascos usually have 4 short stacks.

Now, is this an STA airframe with a Ranger engine or is it a converted PT-22 ? I'm not sure. The wings don't seem to have any sweepback, but I don't know if the sweepback was taken out on the conversions. That would be a pretty major mod.

Information update: I found a website listing all existing Ryan ST, STA, STM. Gosney's airplane is listed as S/N 151, making it an STA. So it really is a Sport Trainer, just with the Ranger engine mod.

Dick
otrcman is offline Find More Posts by otrcman
Last edited by otrcman; Dec 28, 2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: new information