View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by Mike_Then
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,524 Posts
Question
Advice on converting Top Flite T-34 - help save it from the swap shop!

Hi guys, I'm trying to help a friend with a glow-to-electric project and he's got some pretty specific parameters. He says that if he can't successfully convert the plane to electric then it's going to the Swap Shop in January. I wanted to reach out to the community to see if we can help save this beautiful plane from the chopping block!

He has a Top Flite T-34. It currently has a four stroke 1.20 that seems to fly it quite well. Not overly-powered nor underpowered but just right. It's swinging a 15 x 8 glow prop. It has an 80" wingspan. The advertised weight is 10 - 14 lbs. but we don't know the exact weight so let's just say 12 lbs. for the sake of this discussion. It has E-Flite electric retracts.

Here are the specifics: My friend has an Exceed RC Monster Power 110, which is an E-Flite Power 110 clone. It's 295 kV, and it will take 9-cells max. He wants to use this motor if at all possible so he doesn't have to buy a new one. The other restriction is prop clearance. The T-34 is a trike so that means he can go a max of a 16" prop.

My suggestion was a slightly hotter motor with a deeply-pitched 15" prop and at least 8 cells. I was thinking 10s would get the job done but the motor has a max input of 9s. He's pretty adament about using this motor. He was looking at an 15.75 x 13 x 3 APC glow prop but I've been down the road with 3-blade props on .60-sized planes and never really been happy.

First, can the conversion be done with that motor and if so, what prop and cell count would you recommend? Help me keep this plane out of the swap shop! Thanks!
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then