Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by bamaguy
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Flyin View Post
Got a couple more flights today with FedEx. Word of caution. On the last flight when I came in to land my right wing gear came unglued and tore off...... And I checked those things before the maiden flight and they seemed sturdy enough. Going to epoxy them before the next flight. Hawaiian
I would strongly recommend NOT using epoxy! It does not bond well to EPO and the thermoplastic used in the gear mounts....one good "shock" to it and you will likely have 3 pieces, where there originally was only two....namely the wing, the gear mount, and a nice epoxy "glue line" piece
I use Gorilla Glue (the newer white, faster dry version). You only need to clamp it for 30min, which can be done with a medium size "C" clamp, as the location of the gear mount is not too far from the trailing edge. Be sure and use piece of ply on the top of the wing to protect surface from clamp! Also clean off the "old" adhesive from the mating surfaces. The GG will not give up! When cured, any excess ooze can be broken/scrapped off.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy