Thread: Discussion IOM General Discussion
View Single Post
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by SimonRobinson
United Kingdom, North Shields
Joined Feb 2012
36 Posts
Building with foam

I've been putitng off starting building an IOM for nearly a year now, but I seem to have finally made time to get one started in the New Year. I am still trying to decide whether to make the boat in wood, or make a male plug in foam and glass over that. This will be a one off hull, I don't intend to make a female mould.
I could do with some advice on the foam idea assuming I decide to make the hull & deck in epoxy glass rather than a wood hull:
1. When making the plug, do you use thin plywood shadows and then infill with roughly cut out foam, and then cut / sand the foam,
or
Do you just glue card shadows to the foam, cut out foam ( I have 50mm extruded polyfoam already), glue together and shape. The main danger with this is that it would be easy to remove too much I guess, whereas with ply it might be easy to get hard spots.
or
Have you any other suggestions using foam.

2. I realise I would need to do some filling after the sanding, but do I need to glass, then more filling and fairing to stiffen it prior to making the hull, or can I get away with just using shrink wrap over the foam (or foam and ply) and then lay up the main hull?

Thanks in advance Simon
SimonRobinson is offline Find More Posts by SimonRobinson