Thread: Discussion Hover made from VL929 Quad heli
View Single Post
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:40 AM
Find More Posts by raw89
Rapidly aging user
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Hi – The original video from Helifreaks thread, LOL……
Blade MQX revamped into something else... (1 min 5 sec)

My original craft used the board & vectored thrust steering from a twin engine park flyer. Here, steering/throttle is by the left stick (mode 2) which controls throttle & yaw on the quad.
Hull is 4mm thk corr plastic 14” x 11” w/ rip stop skirt. Lift duct is f.g. but I often use thin alum roof flashing mtl. One photo is bottom of hull & jig I made to scribe the cut lines on a male mock-up of skirt shape to join skirt sections. Ducting channels about 25% of prop air to inflate skirt & under hull for lift.
Started out just taping two 2 boom/motor assy together braced w/ balsa beams & plugged into the quad board (sitting on top the duct). All done w/ masking & 2 sided scotch tape – very Rube Goldberg…
When that seemed OK, I moved the board down to the hull for weight dist. & protection by plugging 2 more booms in serial to get enough wire length. At this point, everything is still plug-n-play that I could easily return the parts to heli spare part service.
Finally committed to project by cutting & extending motor wires while replacing the cf booms w/ a piece of alum tube & making/fastening better parts (no cardboard!). I can still use the motor assy’s as spares for my mQX or reassemble the VL929 quad if desired.
The lift duct & hardware could be used on a simple hull (upside-down foam to-go food tray?) if you wanted to stick to flat, dry surfaces. Questions welcome, please post pic’s of what you come up with. Just experiment & enjoy!
raw89 is online now Find More Posts by raw89