View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
14,027 Posts
Flying the Carbon Cub on floats off the snow in my yard

I've been having fun flying my Carbon Cub on floats off the snow in my yard. I'm loving my expanded runway!

Be sure to watch in HD!

Here's my first ROS (rise off snow) flight with the CC. I've flown ROS with my 1/4-scale Super Cub & other planes on skis, but this is my first ROS flight on floats. We had just gotten 1.5 feet of snow in less than 24 hours the day before.

Eflite UMX Carbon Cub - ROS on floats (9 min 14 sec)

Here's a clip from a couple days later. I managed to hit my ham radio antenna, but I flew out of it & landed successfully. No damage. Midair at 7:00. I'm sure that I couldn't hit that antenna on purpose if I tried, yet I've hit it accidentally with the Champ, Sukhoi XP, Beast 3D, 130X - and now the CC! Funny how that works...

UMX Carbon Cub - more fun in the snow + mid-air collision with ham radio antenna (11 min 33 sec)

Here's an on-board clip that I shot today. The AUW was a portly 129g with the floats & the #16 cam, yet she had plenty of grunt with the TP 325 mAh 65c pack & 5030 prop. Even pulled off a loop from level flight! Plus, she was still agile enough for some figure-eights in my north yard. Like her full-scale counterpart, this baby can haul a load!

Climb into the front seat & come along for the ride. Don't forget the barf-bag!

On-board video - UMX Carbon Cub in the snow (6 min 20 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker